May 05, 2006

J Dilla. You're gonna want me back.


J Dilla. Donuts (2006)
Jay Dee. Welcome 2 Detroit (2001)
J Dilla's album has a way of finding you when you need it. Released merely three days before his untimely passing, Donuts became J Dilla's greatest triumph of beat concoction.

He showed us that hip hop still had soul. Heart. Feeling. As I listened to Donuts, I realized J Dilla was saying goodbye. "I can't stand to see you cry." "You're gonna miss me..." "Broken and blue...." "Just because I really love you." This is modern blues at its finest; capturing the highs and lows of walking this earth. The somber "Time: Donut of the Heart" gives way to the kinetic horns and bass of "Glazed." J Dilla transcended his disease and gave the world Donuts. Make that negative a positive. This album didn't need rappers gettin in the way. Here's the soundtrack to your day.

Welcome 2 Detroit captures Dilla during happier times, working with local Detroit MC's. Dilla takes his turn on the mic as well. Peep his reworking of Donald Byrd's classic Think Twice (from 1974 record Stepping into Tomorrow) and his Kraftwerk inspired Big Booty Express (Trans-Europe Express). Pure electro-hip hop crack.

RIP JAY DEE

Donuts: http://rapidshare.de/files/19657606/jdilla_donuts.rar.html
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VHQLMNEU

Welcome 2 Detroit: http://rapidshare.de/files/19680491/jdilla_welcome.rar.html
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VWW3R78L

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have Welcome to Detroit,that introduced me to the BBE label and Big Booty Express still gives me the chills and that Donald Byrd reprise is a work of art!!!

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PAUSE!!!
thats my joint right there!

7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say you have probably the most thought provocing music related blog I've checked out. It isn't just about music but an education as well. Keep up the good work.

1:00 PM  
Blogger vik said...

thanks for all of the positive compliments.

music can be more than just music....

peace

2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog. G'day from Australia.

8:44 AM  
Blogger M.Dot. said...

Yaaaaaw blog fam.

Look us dointhedamn thing.

I see you.

That cd, is all I need to get by right now.

Real talk.

3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home