May 09, 2007

MARKETING Runs This Rap Ish


Tupac - Shorty Wanna Be A Thug
Hank Crawford - Wildflower
Ed OG - Life of a Kid in the Ghetto
Donny Hathaway - Little Ghetto Boy (live)

I was walking home the other night and this little kid, looking smug as ever, pulled his Huffy up next to me. I'm not one of those kids-these-days type dudes, but I was expecting the little dude to get fresh. Maybe joke about my scuffed Stan Smiths.

Mind you, this kid wasn't more than ten. Eleven tops. "Hey! Can you buy me a VANILLA DUTCH at the store?"

MARKETING works, people. Peep the following quote, from the Altadis USA, Inc. Sales and Marketing VP:

Who's ALTADIS, you ask? These dudes make CIGARS for the rest of the world, yet they make BLUNTS AND PHILLIES for their other targeted demographics. They don't even have to lead us to the cliff. We know we've been targeted. We know we're merely a means to corporate profit. We know we're throwing our money away. Yet, we willingly jump off the cliff, the lemmings that we are.

Here's what they'll tell you: "
Phillies offers an extensive selection of fine cigars for the value-conscious smoker and has the perfect size, shape and blend to satisfy any taste."

Here's what they MEANT to say: "Ni**ers buy anything, as long as we keep those rappers talking."

When the DRUG WAR hits YOUR STREET, Altadis will be too busy investing YOUR MONEY to give a shit. Yeah, they lost a customer to the prison system. Eff it, emulation of prison culture SELLS. That customer probably has kids. That customer's kids probably has friends. All those kids probably have no supervision. All those kids have money to burn. All those kids are willing to follow their friends off the cliff. All those kids are LEMMINGS.

MARKETING runs this rap ish.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Talk about hitting the nail on the head. Good ish, yet again Vik.

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Honestly, some times I am like that. "Kid these days," but I check myself real quick. I don't believe too much of the hype. I recognize and rep for the kids on the straight and narrow.
I had to laugh when you mentioned that because yeah, its real . . . but I don't blame the kids, who grow into adults in their 2nd childhood.

12:50 PM  
Blogger vik said...

@vee - yeah...i had to check myself. i wanted to school the kid, but then i realized this kid probably hasn't had the benefit of schooling.

not just schoolin at school. schoolin by parents, role models, neighbors, aunts, etc etc. lil dude just has the block.

1:05 PM  
Blogger Amadeo said...

What's sad is these kids don't even get "real street smarts" They can still be hustled on various levels.

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a Market for Ni99as....

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home